Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ama-Con incoming


So, Amarillo is taking a(nother?) stab at the geeky convention world.  Ama-Con is this weekend and I was all set to go and show some support...Zul knows we need more geeky oases in this part of the world.

But then I saw the schedule...

And all enthusiasm I had for the event fizzled away like water on a panhandle sidewalk in July.  That is to say, really fast and without any sort of grace.

I appreciate that they've got a general "comics and steampunk" theme going on, that's a good mix and a cool approach.  The belly dancers are a bit weird, and I'm pretty sure I've seen them before at work (don't ask), something I wasn't particularly excited about at the time or after the fact.


I googled "sad geek," and this came up.  I had to post it, on principle.

So, does it make me a bad nerd for wanting to scratch Ama-Con off my to-do list for the weekend now?  No commitments were made, only "yeah, I'm looking forward to going"s.  A low turnout might be bad for the local geek world in the long-run, but right now it feels like going to a sad party just to make a recluse friend feel less shitty.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to the Twisted Sisters dance troupe, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not...I think they're the same group that came to our afternoon show once and thoroughly failed to impress. I'll have to double-check.

      Delete